Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Filling In Some Baseball History

Welcome to the new blog...

I hope to eventually re-start my 1973 TOPPS FOOTBALL blog when my scanner is back or re-attached.

For now, I'd like to see if we can help baseball chroniclers fill in some holes.

If you have ever used the great sites Baseball-Reference.com and Retrosheet, you have probably noticed a few listings of players with "unknown transactions." Some of these mysteries can be solved if we look through the net or local libraries, through articles, biographies, and newspapers.

I've been able to find a few that I've forwarded to Retrosheet...but there are many many more. For example:

Ron Nischwitz, a pitcher in the Sixties, finished his career with Jacksonville in the Mets system. Why?

There is no transaction listed for him to go from the Detroit system to the Mets system. So I go to Google and start typing...I find this page:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19660414&id=QDhWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zugDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2395,4832195&hl=en

The April 14, 1966 Spokesman-Review newspaper! Which has an article explaining that Nischwitz was being sent to Jacksonville after the Mets purchased him over the winter.

This transaction is not listed on Retrosheet! So we have helped find some history.

Let's do some good and fill some holes.




No comments:

Post a Comment